Seven Steps: Side step in reel
The seven steps are the basic steps which need to be mastered before dancing a reel. For the beginner, it is important to stand with the weight comfortably balanced on both feet. The routines below incorporates the seven steps and two short threes, where the dancer quickly repeats three steps.
1. Stand centre stage.
2. Hop to knee, raising right foot up to the left knee.
3. Spring onto you right foot
4-11. With right foot pointed out front, move from centre to right side of stage for seven steps. Lead with right foot and follow with left foot.
12. After seventh step, lift right foot with knee bent.
13. Spring onto right foot bringing left foot into rear.
14. Step in place onto ball of left foot. Count two.
15. Step onto ball of right foot, behind left foot. Count three.
16. Lift left foot with knee bent and repeat short three.
17. Hop onto knee, raising left foot up to right knee.
18. Spring onto left foot.
19-26. With left foot pointed out front, move from right side to centre stage for seven steps. Lead with left foot and follow with right foot.
27. After seventh step, lift left foot with knee bent.
28. Spring onto left foot and bring right foot into rear. Count one.
29. Step in place onto ball of left foot. Count two.
30. Step onto ball of left foot, behind right foot. Count three.
31. Lift right foot with knee bent and repeat short three.
The Rising Step: Side step in Jig
1. Hop on left foot while raising right foot in front with toe pointed.
2. Hop again on left foot while bringing right foot to rear.
3. Place right foot behind left foot, transferring weight to left.
4. Hop on right foot while bring left foot behind.
5. Place left foot behind right while raising right foot.
6. Place right foot down again.
7. Place left foot behind right while raising right foot.
8. Place right foot down again.
From Irish Dance by Appletree Press. Written by Arthur Flynn. Illustrated by Anne Farrall