Coopershill

Riverstown, Co. Sligo

Approached through parks, woods and farmland, the long drive winds its way up to this wonderful Georgian mansion, which has splendid views over woods, hills and the River Arrow, which runs through the property. It was built in 1774 and seven generations of the O'Haras have occupied it since then. The present O'Haras have lived here for the past decade, restoring the house to an extremely high standard of comfort, without in any way detracting from its eighteenth century ambience.

In fact, much of the furniture is original. Family portraits adorn the walls, the rooms are big enough to make massive pieces of furniture look insignificant, and the dining room has enormous sideboards covered with gleaming family silver.

Mr. O'Hara farms the 500-acre estate with his brother, and Mrs. O'Hara takes care of the guests and does all the cooking. There is a large, comfortable drawing room with a log fire, and 5 of the bedrooms have four-poster or canopy beds. Boats and gillies can be arranged for fishing and boating on Lough Arrow; trout- and coarse-fishing are also available on the River Arrow. There is also a tennis court and croquet lawn. Evening meals, if arranged in advance, are served at 8:30pm, and a light lunch or picnic can also be provided. There is a wine licence. Hairdryers and tea- and coffee-making facilities are in all bedrooms. Guests are asked to smoke in the drawing-room and lounge only. Pets outside only.

Signposted from the Drumfin crossroads. 11 miles (16.5 km) southwest of Sligo on the Dublin road.

Owner: Brian and Linda O'Hara Open: March-October Rooms: 6 double, 1 twin (6 en-suite)