Derrybawn House

Rathdrum, Glendalough, Co. Wicklow

About a mile (1.5km) from Glendalough, Derrybawn House is set in 90 acres of sheep-grazing parkland with a lovely river running through the property. Built around 1780, the house was burnt down during the 1798 Rising and was rebuilt in the style of a north Italian villa in the early nineteenth century. The wisteria-covered house is surrounded by a sheltered garden with great banks of rhododendrons, with hills rising behind. There are some very attractive, compact rooms in the back of the house, furnished in pine. The rooms in the main part of the house are en-suite. Upstairs there is a large room with a full-sized snooker table, armchairs and wood-burning stove, while on the ground floor one will find the formal dining room, where breakfast and dinner (by arrangement only) are served, and an attractive sitting room with an open fire. No children under 12.

Owner: Donald and Lucy Vambeck. Open: All year, except Christmas. Rooms: 6 double/twin (all en-suite)