Kilrush House

Freshford, Co. Kilkenny

An interesting family house built in 1820, with large rooms containing many of the original furnishings. Kilrush House stands in lawns, gardens and parkland, surrounded by its 250-acre farm, which supports sheep and a few thorough bred National Hunt mares. The St George family have lived at Kilrush for 3 centuries, and until the present house was built they inhabited the old Tower House, which in spite of its age still stands. One of the features of the house is the graceful cupola that is set high above the hall, the circular landing on the first floor accentuating its lines. Home cooked meals including vegetables, lamb and free-range pork from the farm are served in the enormous dining room, which has the furniture originally made for the house and the old, somewhat faded wallpaper dating from around 1820. There is a hard tennis court; hunting holidays can be arranged during the winter. Pets by arrangement. Kilrush can be found on the road to Cashel, 2 miles (3 km) from Freshford.

OPEN mid-April-mid October
ROOMS 3 double (all en-suite)