The construction of the great semi-fortified Jacobean house at Kanturk (c. 1610) was never brought to completion after suspicious neighbours complained that it was too dangerous and powerful a place to be in the hands of a subject. The builder, Dermot MacOwen Macarthy, Lord of Dunhallow, was ordered to stop work, and in a fit of rage he had the stained glass for the windows smashed and dumped in a nearby river. The castle shell was subsequently known as “MacDonagh’s Folly”.
19 km (12 miles) W of Mallow. NGR: W 382018.