From its rocky vantage point overlooking the narrow entrance of Strangford Lough, this tower house is a striking landmark whose natural advantages no doubt played a key role in its siting. It was built in the 15th century by the Audleys, one of the families introduced into Lecale by De Courcy in 1177. Internal features include a murder hole in the stair, fireplaces, window seats, cupboard niches and drain holes for slops, while unusually there is a stone vault roofing on the first floor rather than the ground floor.
In 1765 the Wards purchased the property from the descendants of the Audleys, some of whom continued to reside in Audleystown village. During the 1850s, however, the inhabitants of this settlement were shipped to America by the Wards and the area was incorporated into the landscape park.
Audleystown. NGR: J S78506.
Click here Irish Castles to buy the newly reformatted book from Amazon.co.uk. The previous edition of Irish Castles is also still available from Amazon.co.uk.