Kilclief Castle,
County Down

Kilclief was built sometime between 1412 and 1433 as the summer residence of John Sely, the last Bishop and Abbot of Down. Few tower houses can be dated so precisely, but Bishop Sely gained much notoriety for openly living in "castro de Kylcleth" with a married woman. Although the Primate threatened him with suspension and excommunication, the Bishop obstinately persisted and was expelled from his offices. The castle was later garrisoned by the Crown and more recently was used as a farm granary. There is a blocked fireplace with a re-used 13th-century coffin-lid serving as a lintel.

4 km (2.5 miles) S of Strangford. NGR: J 597457.