From its superb vantage point on a volcanic crag, this fortress is a striking landmark which demonstrates an excellent use of natural defences. It is mentioned in 13th century contexts, but the greater part of the present remains belong to the period after 1449 when the sixth Earl of Desmond conferred it on Brien Duff O'Brien, son of the Prince of Thomond. It has a rather complex range of buildings, including a four-storey tower, a circular bastion and a gabled house. In 1536 the castle was surrendered to Lord Deputy Grey, after he used his artillery to blow up the gate of the outer court. The men of the garrison, who were found huddled in the dungeon, were all taken out and executed. The O'Briens later lost the castle in the Cromwellian forfeitures. In 1691 it was mined and blown up with an enormous quantity of gunpowder by order of General Ginkel, after it had surrendered with its Jacobite garrison of 150 men.
Located 2 miles NW of Mungret. NGR: R 499552.