The town of Enniscorthy developed around this much rebuilt and restored 13th-century castle standing on a rock at the head of the Slaney's navigable tideway. The original building was probably built by Gerald de Prendergast during the 1230s, and like both Ferns and Carlow, comprised a rectangular keep of four storeys strengthened at the corners by communicating three-quarter drum towers. In 1253 it passed through marriage to the Rochford family, and by the 15th century was held by the MacMurrough Kavanaghs. By the 1530s the castle was evidently in Crown possession and serving as the Seneschal's residence. It was leased to Edmund Spenser for three days in 1581 and five years later was acquired by Sir Henry Wallop. It was captured by Cromwellian troops in 1649 and was used as a prison during the 1798 Rebellion. During the early 19th century the castle suffered a restoration by the Earl of Plymouth, and yet another at the end of the century by a local MP who enlarged it and used it as a residence. The building now houses the county museum.
Wexford town. NGR: S 971399.