Founded in 1945, the city museum, set in Fitzgerald Park by the River Lee, is very much a traditional style museum, but well maintained and presented. Beside its entrance is the coat of arms, carved in stone, of the City of Cork, rescued after City Hall was burned by the Black and Tans in 1920. Inside, rooms display the prehistory of the Cork region, details on the War of Independence and many examples of Cork crafts. These include 18th-century silver, now much prized, besides the even rarer Republican silver, assayed in Cork in 1922, when times were too troubled for it to be sent to the Assay Office in Dublin. Cork glassware and Youghal needlepoint lace are also featured.
Fitzgerald Park, off Western Road (signposted).
Tel. (021) 270679.