Douglas Hyde Centre, County Roscommon

Dr Douglas Hyde was Ireland's first President and this permanent exhibition on his life and work is housed in the former Church of Ireland church at Portahard, where his father was once rector. Dr Hyde was a prominent scholar and his collection of prose and poetry can be seen here, along with such personal items as his gavel and walking stick. The centre has also the letter nominating him as President in 1938. Outside, the Gairdin an Chraoibhin (Garden of the Little Branch) has trees and shrubs that are sacred in Celtic mythology. Douglas Hyde's grave is at the rear of the church.

Frenchpark, 25 km (15 miles) NW of Strokestown on the N5. Admission charge. Tel. (0907) 70016.