Egan

Egan

This name originated in Co Galway and in south Co Roscommon. It is a pared-down anglicisation of an ancient Gaelic surname, Mac Aodhagáin, which means son of Hugh, and was also used to denote a pagan fire deity. Over the years, the name changed to Egan, which in some parts of the country, particularly in Dublin and Wicklow, has been changed further to Keegan.

An early clan member was Owen MacEgan (1570-1603), a militant bishop who encouraged a Spanish invasion of Ireland in 1602. It landed in Kenmare, Co Kerry. He was killed six months later and is buried in the convent grounds at Timoleague, Co Cork.

The clan seat is Redwood Castle at Lorrha in Co Tipperary, near the north-east corner of Lough Derg and the town of Portumna. The fine castle here was originally built about 1210 and in recent times has been carefully restored by Michael J. Egan from Castlebar, Co Mayo. The Egan clan rally is now held here every year; the first such was in 1982.